It's time to allow our young dancers to take flight....
Contact Us: PO Box 184, Florence, OR 97439 (541) 999-8641 firstname.lastname@example.org EIN: 45-3478841
Starting in May of 2017, C.R.O.W. introduces our new “Flight” Dance Team! There will be only 14-16 spaces available, and we will be requiring dancers (ages 10+) to audition to be a part of this new, fun group, taught by Melanie Heard. Auditions will be held each year in May, and dancers will have to re-audition each year.
Our goals with the C.R.O.W. “Flight” Dance Team include:
- Teaching fun, innovative, and creative choreography to our kids, and looking for opportunities to perform them, such as at community events, in local performances, and in the Holly Jolly Follies each year.
- Eventually taking the group to dance competitions (within driving distance) to compete in various categories. This will happen when we feel that the dancers have developed enough to be competitive in a particular category.
- Expanding our C.R.O.W. kids’ repertoire to include all forms of dance, including ballet/lyrical, jazz, tap, musical theatre, and more. This will benefit the program in many ways, including increased capability for harder/ more varied choreography in our mainstage musicals.
- Building stronger dance technique. Although many of our local dancers are good performers, they can use significant improvement in their basic dance technique (in all styles). This group will provide an opportunity for much more one-on-one interaction with Melanie, and allow us to really focus on the needs of each member.
- To create a sense of belonging to a team – it will be an honor to have been selected to be on the Dance Team. Not all who audition will be invited to participate, so being chosen is a reward in itself.
For the Parents: To participate in “Flight,” there will be a flat fee of $250 annually. This fee includes weekly rehearsals (to generally be held Tuesdays 4-5:30 pm), as well as a zip up sweatshirt for the Dance Team. There will be some weeks when there will be no rehearsals, and in general, there will be no rehearsals during the months of April and December (Holly Jolly Follies rehearsals will occur instead). The fee can be paid in 2 installments if needed ($125 due at beginning, and $125 due 2 months later). The fee is non-refundable. There will be 2-3 financial-need based full scholarships available for “Flight.” A separate application will be required for these scholarships. Flight members will be required to wear specified dance attire (black leotard/tights), and to have a pair of approved ballet, tap, and jazz shoes at all times. If a dancer is selected for "Flight," they are making a commitment to the team, and may not miss very many rehearsals or performances without being removed from the team. For performances and competitions, parents will be responsible for purchasing costumes for their child. These costumes will be decided on by the C.R.O.W. production team, and will be as cost effective as possible (i.e.- Performance costumes from Liberts or Dance Distributors range from $75-$200). Families who cannot afford costumes will be given opportunities to “earn” them, such as helping out with projects at the C.R.O.W. Center (cleaning, organizing, vacuuming, gardening, sorting costumes, etc.). Being selected for "Flight" is a privilege and high behavior standards and professionalism will be expected from all dancers at all times. This is going to be a TOUGH but very worthy endeavor for our "Flight" kids.
Hope to see YOU at the audition!
2017 OPEN AUDITIONS:
SATURDAY, MAY 27th - 12 pm
C.R.O.W. Center for the Performing Arts
No experience is required to audition.
Please bring jazz or ballet shoes and wear dance attire.
Please note: A dance routine will be taught.
Dancers do not need to prepare anything for the audition.
If you have questions, please contact
Melanie Heard at: 541-999-8641
Melanie Heard, Director of "Flight" and Artistic Director of C.R.O.W. and her partner perform a modern dance piece at Riverside Community College in Riverside, CA (1994).